Saturday, December 6, 2008

Cernunnos


This gorgeous Cernunnos comes from Moongrouse which is in another language but features several neopagan tattoos and is well worth a look. Some of my readers may recall a post from September that featured another tattoo version of Cernunnos. I think we can all agree that this latest tattoo is much, much better. Cernunnos is a Celtic fertility god of animals, nature and the Underworld who may have first arisen as a god painted on cave walls dating back to 13,000 BCE. The picture to the right is a detail from the famous Gundestrup Cauldron found in Denmark in 1891. It is made of silver, features several mythological motifs and probably dates from the 1st century BCE.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I know what I want for Christmas :D

Livia Indica said...

Oh yeah! Or for Yule!

Anonymous said...

This is great, it gives me an idea for the center of a new piece I am working on

Livia Indica said...

Hi Avenger, thanks for visiting. Always willing to share art and spread around some inspiration!