Thursday, May 28, 2009

Purple Pagan Fairy


Click image(s) to see the larger version(s).

This gorgeous fairy, inspired by the fantasy art of Amy Brown is from Rate My Ink and was created by Mike at Blue Horseshoe Tattoo of Hampton, Virginia.

I really like this tattoo. The work is well done and incorporates several different symbols and ideas without being cluttered. There's the triple goddess (maiden, mother, crone) moons hanging from her leg. The caduceus, which has taken on a medical meaning today, has a long, rich pagan history. It was first held by Iris, the messenger of Hera, the topmost goddess of the Greek pantheon. Later it was shone in the hand of Hermes, Greek messenger to all of the pantheon, psychopompos and protector of many people including shepherds, merchants as well as thieves. As Hermes was the rough equivalent of the Roman Mercury the caduceus also became astrologically linked with the planet of the same name. (It should be noted that the caduceus is not the same as the rod of Asclepius, another common medicine-related symbol, which has only one snake and no wings.) And the tattoos on her legs are the icing on the double chocolate pagan cake.

7 comments:

Pandora's Aquarium said...

Girl, I love love LOVE the new take of going into more details on the myths behind the tattoos. Love it! Kudos to you!

This tattoo is sooooooo well done. :)

Livia Indica said...

Cool, thanks! Feedback, yay! I'm very happy to get some comments and ratings, that makes my day.

Heather said...

I'm honored you featured my tattoo! I'm very proud of it, and love to show it off! My real first name is Heather and I am from Newport News VA

Livia Indica said...

Hi Heather! Thank YOU for being peeved at me for ripping the image from Rate My Ink. It's awesome!

Livia Indica said...

Oops. That's supposed to be "thank you for NOT being peeved at me."

ophelia said...

Double chocolate pagan cake sounds delicious.

Livia Indica said...

Yep, that does sound good!