Sunday, December 28, 2008

Newgrange Spirals



The tattoo image comes from here. I honestly don't remember where the photo of the original Newgrange spirals comes from, sorry 'bout that. Anyway, Newgrange is a fascinating monument in Ireland that is older than Stonehenge by some 500 years. At about 5000 years of age it is older than the Great Pyramids of Egypt. But all that aside, it's an amazing place that I'd dearly love to visit someday (if I ever get rich, that is). On the morning before, of and after the winter solstice the light of the rising sun hits these spirals and other symbols deep within the structure. At no other time of the year does this phenomena occur so we know the ancient builders purposely aligned Newgrange with the solstice. I guess I should have posted this about a week ago but I digress. Pretty cool, eh?

No comments: